Founded in 1954 by a group of 22 partners, Adega Cooperativa do Cartaxo is rooted in a region with a strong wine-growing tradition where historical references to the practice date back to before the tenth century.
Until 1974, Adega was based at the facilities of the former Junta Nacional do Vinho (currently the IVV, or the Instituto da Vinha e do Vinho). Since then, it has operated out of its current facilities, always investing in ways of strengthening its human and technological resources to improve the quality of its wine.
Continually investing in its human and technological resources to improve the quality of its wine, Adega do Cartaxo occupies an area of around 700 hectares and produces around 7 million litres per year. Red wines represent around 70% of this output, forming part of a vast and varied range of bottled wines.